Thursday, May 28, 2009

MOVIES!


The summer brings an onslaught of movies and I love to going to the movies! No matter the setting - art house or mall metro-plex- I love sitting in the theater with a bag of freshly popped corn and a soda, watching the previews and willing the lights to go down and the movie to come up on the screen.

Another thing I like about going to the movies: audience empathy. You’re sitting there watching a drama and there seems to always be one person who sobs out loud and breaks the tension or you’re watching a comedy and one person laughs so loud their friends pass them a handful of napkins to shove in their mouth. You can’t get that from NetFlix or Blockbuster or from sitting on your couch - no matter the size of the television or roll-down screen.

What am I going to try to see out of this summers movie onslaught? I’ll give them to you below. Reader beware, summer is heavy on the action movies, so don’t expect too many dramas here.



The onslaught started in May with the action movies: Star Trek, Wolverine (saw it, loved it – I have a huge crush on Hugh Jackman - someone had to take the place of Paul Newman in my life) and Terminator (no thank you). These were followed up by Angels & Demons (I’ll see it just to see Tom Hanks in a Speedo, that has to be entertaining or scary), UP (animated, from Pixar, do I need to say more) and EARTH (documentary on life around our marvelous planet).



June will be just as action packed with the release of Taking of Pelham 1,2,3 (Travolta and Denzel, enuf said), Transformers 2 (cars that talk and turn into fighting machines, COOL!) and Land of the Lost (with nutty Will Farrell). Look for the limited releases Food, Inc (a documentary about the food we eat and might not ever again) or MOON (about a man who mines the precious gas that holds the key to reversing the Earth's energy crisis). For the lighter side, there will be The Proposal, Away We Go




or The Hangover (bachelor party in Vegas, I probably will see this on DVD).

July brings the warm weather (good for sitting in a cold theater) and the movies Funny People (comedy), Public Enemies (Johnny Depp as Dillinger)




Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
(if you haven’t read the books, you won’t get it), and another limited release, The Girl from Monaco (it might be sub-titled, so beware).

August follows with Julie & Julia (Meryl Streep as Julia Child),




The Time Travelers Wife (haven’t read the book, but it sounds good) and Brad Pitts Inglorious Basterds (they can’t spell, but what the hell).

Anyway, maybe this will inspire you to get off the couch and out to see a movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment